Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No soup for you!

So with the recent onset of cold weather a "young" man's fancy turns to thoughts of soup. And in so doing I have a conversation with my friend and teammate - Tiffanier. She tells me that she's never had a bowl of real homemade soup. I find this a bit hard to believe but then Nina announces she's not sure she's ever had any either. So I'm thinking, what is this world coming to and what kind of a friend would I be if I allowed this sad state of affairs to continue.

So I decide to do my part to make the world a little warmer and kinder place. And the timing happens to be pretty good too. I have a few close friends coming by the house tomorrow night for a pot luck dinner and I figure I can make enough soup for everyone.

Right after I took this picture, in order to prove to my skeptical friends that I did in fact make this soup from scratch, I had to strain the broth. Then I am trying to hold a huge pot in one hand and pour enough soup for an army through a strainer I was holding in the other.

After pouring the boiling hot broth over my hand I throw the pot and race to the bathroom to pour cold water on my hand. There was broth, pans and utensils flying everywhere and blanketing the kitchen. I lost at least half the broth (and still there should be plenty for everyone) and scalded a couple of fingers on my right hand pretty good. For the past hour or so I have been finishing the soup and cleaning the kitchen while swapping out cans of cold soda in my burned right hand. A job I thought would be done by my bedtime (about 10:30pm) has taken up a whole lot more time than I anticipated. I think those recipe websites need to revise their "preparation time" estimates!

The burned fingers don't look too bad but on the other hand (actually on the same hand) it hurts like crazy. I am hoping it swells up and turns a terrible blue and purple color by tomorrow so I don't appear to be such a sissy boy crying about a burn that you can't see. Anyway right now a couple of bucks for a can of Progresso doesn't seem like such a bad deal!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know if this is any consolation for what you went through but the soup was delicious! And you didn't even mention the burn the next day so you're not such a sissy boy afterall :) Thank you for a wonderful lunch. I'll never be able to enjoy a bowl of Progresso quite the same way again.