Monday, September 29, 2008

Does dancing make you smarter?


A major study added to the growing evidence that stimulating one's mind can ward off Alzheimer's disease and other dementia, much as physical exercise can keep the body fit. Almost no physical activity studied seems to offer any protection against dementia, except for frequent dancing.

This paper by Richard Powers muses about why this might be so. It concludes that intelligence is maintained and improved by activities which require split-second rapid-fire decision making, as opposed to rote memory, or just working on your physical technique.

So last night I went to see these two dance. Andrei and Natale Paramonov were pretty incredible and inspiring. I'd go to see her er...... I mean them again even if it didn't make me any smarter. Great to watch just for the fun of it. What do you think?

3 comments:

CuteGirl said...

I think you need to do it to get smarter, not just watching :).

TomTeam said...

Gosh, now why didn't I think of that. It seems I can count on you to keep me honest! Thanks ;)

ElenaS said...

The first time I saw the picture I thought: who is a lucky girl dancing with Tom? :-)